- Become a DogFriendly Member & receive:
- Bi-monthly e-magazine
- County guides & Dog walking guides
- 10% Discount on 100s of dog friendly properties
- Find Out More
Part of the Manger was once a stable, its original features retained while modern additions have been gently inserted. Inside, there are lime-washed walls and soft lighting while outside the terrace offers uninterrupted views down to the river and along the spectacular valley.
The Manger lies at the end of a long drive. A major renovation in 2017 has included new thatch, a separate dining area, the addition of a spacious sitting room, a second bathroom and additional bedrooms. Outside, elegant estate fencing fully encloses the enormous garden and orchard, while a new Larch deck easily accommodates a full complement of guests. The garden andsurrounding woodland with its ancient hedgerows and open fields, is home to badgers, deer, rabbits and a great variety of birds and moths. A weir pool with a salmon ladder and a bluebell wood lie along one of the many nearby footpaths.
The Shippen sleeping four guests is also available to book at this location. This holiday cottage at a glance
- Sleeps five guests.
- Two double bedrooms, one with en-suite bathroom, one single bedroom and one family shower room.
- Please be mindful of a single low truss on the upper floor.
- Children and infants welcome.
- Enclosed acre of garden.
- Parents of small children should note that there is a pond within the grounds of the property.
- Ample parking.
- Two well-behaved dogs welcome (small additional charge).
- Minimum of a three night stay.
- Thatched roof, lime washed stone walls and exposed beams.
- Green oak terrace leads to open field and valley views.
- Adjoining barn has table tennis.
- Ideal for a Romantic Retreat.
- Guest use of a paddock.
- Cot and Highchair available on request.
- Guests who regularly return say that photography and descriptions can’t come close capturing the scale and beauty of the natural surroundings.
- Electric hob and oven, microwave, fridge with freezer compartment, dishwasher, washer/dryer.
- 30" Flat screen digital TV, DVD, music centre with iPod dock.
- Barbecue and charcoal available.
- Nearby are three excellent family-run farm shops, River Cottage HQ and Canteen as well as nationally acclaimed eateries and a choice of pubs known for good cooking and beer.
- Have dinner at the Tuckers Arms in Dalwood.
- Cider is made in the main barn.
- The nearest post office and cafe is a mile away in Membury.
- Within a 20 minute drive is the seaside town of Lyme Regis, a World Heritage Site famous for fossils. Branscome, Beer, Axmouth and Charmouth are only a little further down the coast. Within an easy forty minute drive are Dartmoor and Exmoor.
- The antique and second-hand book town of Honiton is on the way to the Devon Cathedral town of Exeter.
- Just over the border into Dorset are many Iron Age Hill Forts.
- Astronomy enthusiasts will appreciate the Dark Sky area.
For additional inspiration on what to do within the area, please click here.
Your review here?
Have you visited The Manger before? If so, why not consider leaving a review?
Searching For Dog Friendly Places?
Find Out More
Dog friendly places near this location
Cottages & Self Catering
|The Shippen||0.0 Miles|
|Kingfisher Cottage||0.5 Miles|
Camping & Caravanning
|Andrewshayes Caravan Park||2.0 Miles|
|Colyton - Shiphay Farm||4.4 Miles|
|Monkton Wyld Touring Caravan Park||4.6 Miles|
We have the largest database of dog friendly places to visit, eat and services.
Where We Are
+44 (0)1480 570009