- Become a DogFriendly Member & receive:
- Bi-monthly e-magazine
- County guides & Dog walking guides
- 10% Discount on 100s of dog friendly properties
- Find Out More
Polden Hills House & Cottage
One of The Sunday Times Top 100 places to stay in 2010.
Polden Hills House is at the heart of one of England's finest tourist locations, but it is only five minutes from the M5 motorway. The house is full of family books, portraits and antiques and sleeps up to 16 in six beautifully decorated bedrooms on 22 acres of wonderful gardens and grounds.
On the same site you'll also find Polden Hills Cottage, a charming new addition where an additional six guests can stay across three beautiful bedrooms. This allows for parties of up to 22 to rent both properties exclusively.
The house, cottage and gardens are looked after by a dedicated and caring team that takes pride in providing exceptional service. On arrival, they provide a generous hamper of local foods, carefully chosen wines and locally produced apple juice. Superb cooks can be arranged for guests who want someone to prepare for a special occasion. A natural beauty therapist can be requested for guests who desire further pampering. The house has something for everyone including: a children's play area with playhouse, swing and fort; a games field; broadband internet access; and Sky satellite TV.
*An additional three people can stay at the house, two on a double sofa-bed in the Chaucer bedroom, there are also two single fold-out beds in Pooh's Corner. This means up to 25 guests can stay across the two properties.
|Good news! This property is available as a Vill’otel|
Yey! Wait… what is that?
|Good news! For a little extra, This property is available as a Vill’otel|
With a vill’otel holiday, you can enjoy all these services throughout your stay:
The owners do everything to ensure that guests have relaxing, enjoyable and memorable holidays. They visit soon after guests' arrival to make sure that they can find everything needed and know how things work. A comprehensive file of information is provided in the house.
The house provide a generous welcome hamper which includes:
- A generous selection of local foods
- The house's own label wines
- Apple juice from a nearby farm
The owners are happy to arrange for food deliveries from a quality local supplier or for a cook to prepare any meals.
The beds have high quality, middle-firmness mattresses and are made up with luxury cotton sheets and soft duvets. Every bed is supplied with a generous bundle of soft white towels.
The owners take pride in the well-equipped kitchens, which include a large range electric cooker, a combination microwave/electric oven, two dishwashers and two refrigerators.
Special Activities and Events - These include archery, falconry, carriage driving, hot air ballooning, owl and badger watch, and beauty treatments.
This is by no means an exhaustive list, so please just contact Oliver’s VIP Concierge Team to help you arrange any of those little extras that can really make the difference.
25% off any new bookings taken between the 18th of November and 21st of December 2018. Discount will be applied at time of booking. Offer valid from the 13th November 2018.
The Drawing Room, Library and Dining Room open on to extensive and peaceful gardens, which in turn lead to fields beyond. There is very little noise other than occasional 'mooing' or 'crowing' from Great Tree Farm next door. There is also a large, farmhouse-style Old Kitchen, a Breakfast Room (the former Pantry), and a Laundry (the former Larder). The maximum number that can be seated around the main Dining Room table is 14, but there is also a table suitable for 'kids' teas' in the Breakfast Room.
- Kitchen/breakfast room
- Kitchen dining room
- Utility/ Laundry room with washing machine and tumble dryer
- Library dining room
- Morning room
- Drawing room with piano and flat screen TV
- Cloakroom with WC
There are six luxuriously furnished bedrooms, most of which are named after their unusual bronze doorknockers, and four bathrooms. There are full-size beds for up to 12 people and sofa-beds for up to another 4 guests. We also have a put-u-up bed and two cots, so a range of combinations are possible.
- Chaucer: 6’6” super-king bed with an additional double sofa-bed and en-suite bathroom
- Pooh’s Corner (Landing): Two single sofa-beds
- Nursery: Double or twin room, with two cots and en-suite bathroom with bath, washbasin and WC
- Cobbler: Queen-size double bedroom
- Jolly Monks: Twin bedroom with en-suite bathroom with roll-top bath, shower, washbasin and WC
- Blue Bathroom: Bath with overhead shower, washbasin and WC
- Pump Room: Four-poster double bedroom
- Trusty Servant: Double bedroom with en-suite bathroom with shower, W/C and washbasin
Groups come to relax but for those that cannot leave work completely behind there is wireless broadband. For those more interested in play, a number of board games and card tables are available in the Library. We have a fold-away pool table as well as Sky TV. We also provide a grass area for football, with basketball and other ball games in the stable yard, behind the garages.
The house is set in 22 acres with beautiful gardens. We nurture some very special trees, particularly the only known specimen in the UK of an unusual type of Chinese Zelkova or elm, and some very fine limes and a wide range of unusual apples and pears (help yourselves to fruit in season). The grounds include the following:
- The Tilting Yard - a small, pretty garden in front of the house.
- The Main Garden - situated on the south side of the house and featuring a large lawn (a 'contemplation garden' is currently being developed).
- 'Ha ha' - a large pond that separates the Main Garden from the Orchard.
- The Orchard - a meadow with old apple trees, mature limes, abundant cowslips, a bog garden and a wild garden.
- Bushey Close - a field beyond the Orchard; sometimes used for horses, archery or falconry.
- The Walled Garden - leased out under the Channel 4 TV Landshare Scheme - which occasionally provides our guests and staff with fruit, vegetables or flowers for cutting in season.
- The games field - a grassy area beyond the stable yard for football, basket ball, badminton etc. There is a children's play area with playhouse, slide and fort.
- The Barbecue.
- The Kitchen Garden - a pleasant area for the cook's glass of wine!
- Ponds - there are various ponds on the estate that are abundantly supplied with newts, including many of the endangered great crested newts. Our former fine fish collection has helped sustain the herons of the local marshes!
- Living room with flat screen TV, dining facilities and patio doors leading on to the decked terrace area
- Wet room with accessible shower, washbasin and WC
- "Go Lightly" twin bedroom
- Games room with table tennis table
- "Hobbs" double bedroom
- "Kennedy" twin bedroom
- Bathroom with bath and overhead shower, washbasin and WC
- Dining area
- Play area
Your review here?
Have you visited Polden Hills House & Cottage before? If so, why not consider leaving a review?
Searching For Dog Friendly Places?
Find Out More
Dog friendly places near this location
Cottages & Self Catering
|Polden Hills House||0.0 Miles|
|Polden Hills Cottage||0.1 Miles|
|Rose View||2.1 Miles|
Camping & Caravanning
|A M Bastable||2.0 Miles|
|Burtle Bicycle Co||3.1 Miles|
|Cripps Farm Caravan Park||3.3 Miles|
We have the largest database of dog friendly places to visit, eat and services.
Where We Are
+44 (0)1480 570009