- Become a DogFriendly Member & receive:
- Bi-monthly e-magazine
- County guides & Dog walking guides
- 10% Discount on 100s of dog friendly properties
- Find Out More
Benville Cottage, an historic Grade II Listed 17th Century detached property with a charming thatched roof and a wealth of period features, restored to a very high standard. Benville remains the small unspoilt hamlet that Thomas Hardy described in the 1800's. You will still find the pub described by Hardy and the cottage where Tess was to have stayed in nearby Evershot. The cottage itself is on Benville Lane, the very lane that Tess of the D'Urbeville walked along on her journey from Beaminster to Evershot.
Comprising a dozen or so houses and cottages, Benville is an ideal base for touring West Dorset and Thomas Hardy country. Two miles to the east lies Evershot, with its award winning pub, The Acorn and an outstanding restaurant, The Summer Lodge. In nearby Beaminster, you'll find a traditional market town selling excellent local produce alongside tea rooms, pubs and restaurants. 10 miles to the south is the market town of Bridport and the fishing port of West Bay. This stretch of Jurassic - World Heritage - coastline boasts the stunning beaches of Burton Bradstock, Lyme Bay and Chesil Beach, as well as the Abbotsbury Swannery and Tropical Garden. The area is popular with walkers, cyclists and horse riders and if you’ve had your fill of prehistoric sites, the county town of Dorchester is 10 miles to the South East where the Dorset County Museum has a good collection of locally found artefacts. This holiday at a glance
- Sleeps four guests.
- Characterful sitting room with exposed beams and a unique stone wall carving of a King discovered during the cottage renovation.
- Inglenook fireplace with wood burning stove.
- Luxury hand built kitchen with flagstone floors and vaulted beamed ceiling.
- Two double bedrooms, one single bedroom and family bathroom.
- ¾ of an acre of enclosed garden with views on to open countryside.
- Children and infants welcome.
- Two small well behaved dogs welcome (small additional charge).
- Parking for up to three cars.
- Minimum of a two night stay.
Your review here?
Have you visited Benville Cottage before? If so, why not consider leaving a review?
Listing Updated: 02/08/2021
Searching For Dog Friendly Places?
The DogFriendly Magazine contains in depth reviews and features of the best places to visit, stay and play.
Find Out More
We have the largest database of dog friendly places to visit, eat and services.
We have a team of DogFriendly scouts who research every venue, either by completing a telephone questionnaire or by visiting and testing it in person.
Where We Are