- Become a DogFriendly Member & receive:
- Bi-monthly e-magazine
- County guides & Dog walking guides
- 10% Discount on 100s of dog friendly properties
- Find Out More
Welsh Mining Experience
Welsh Mining Experience at Rhondda Heritage Park is a tourist attraction based on the site of the former Lewis Merthyr Colliery. Whilst you are unable to take dogs on the underground tour we welcome dogs on site to our outdoor seating area in the colliery court yard. Here you can take in the breath taking views and enjoy refreshments from the wonderful café Bracchi on site.Read More
Whatever the weather, a trip to Rhondda Heritage Park –Welsh Mining Experience is a MUST to add to your tour Itinerary, where visitors can enjoy a unique experience at an authentic coal mine in the South Wales Valleys. Come along and learn about the International story of Welsh coal and about the people who made it a global business.
A living testament to the coal-mining communities of the world famous Rhondda Valleys, the popular family tourist attraction offers a fascinating insight into the rich culture and character of the area.
Former miners, guide visitors on the Black Gold Experience, a 1hour 30 minute journey around the colliery site. Nobody knows the coal industry better than our guides, and visitors will be enthralled at their tales of life underground.
The Black Gold Experience
comprises of visits to the:
Black Gold Guided Tour Experience of the last remaining coal mine in the world-famous Rhondda Valley, including both the surface tour and underground experience and also DRAM the immersive cinematic experience that’s a thrill for all the family.
Black Gold Exhibition Area - celebrating the history of the Rhondda, its industrialists and the famous steam coal that was exported around the world.
We also have ‘ Year of the Sea ‘ exhibition that tells the story of the links between the Colliery and RMS Titanic and two local boxers who were aboard the ill stricken liner.
Court Yard - taking in the breathtaking sights of the historic Chimney Stack, which dominates the Rhondda Valley skyline, along with original drams and mining equipment.
Visit the Trevor and Bertie Engine Houses and see the 150 year winding wheel still in operating, a testament to Victorian engineering complimented with new interactive audio video interpretations.
The Lamp Room - where visitors collect their miner’s helmets, and descend on the underground experience to pit bottom.
Fan House, home of our Miners Strike Banner Collection
The Black Gold Experience provides visitors with a valuable and memorable insight into life as a miner in the Rhondda Valleys and there is so much to see and do during your visit to Rhondda Heritage Park.
Key Information just for you:
• Tours that last approximately 1hour 30minuites but can be tailored to accommodate groups and their preferences. Tours can be offered outside of core opening hours upon request and subject to availability.
• Coach tour Price £6 Per Person
• One FREE tour place for the Group Leader
• One FREE tour place for the Coach Driver
• Maximum of 25 people per tour (for groups of more than 25 additional tours will be added)
• Ample Coach Parking
• Drop off point directly outside Visitors Centre
• On site Cafe
• On site gift shop
• FREE tea or coffee and a hot meal for the Coach Driver. (provided by a voucher redeemable at Chocolate House @ Caffe Bracchi)
• Please note however that due to the industrial nature of the underground experience it is not fully accessible to wheelchair users.
• Offers are available for group bookings, with enhanced discounts available based on numbers attending and time of year booking.
• Visitors Centre and Cafe can be opened outside of advertised opening hours with prior arrangement.
• DRAM The Immersive Cinematic Experience .
New for 2019
• Chocolate House at Rhondda Heritage Park – visit our new in house chocolatiers and see how they make their fantastic products – you can even buy some to take away
• Craft of Hearts – our very own community based group who produce fantastic art work, provide classes and have an onsite shop.
Your review here?
Have you visited Welsh Mining Experience before? If so, why not consider leaving a review?
Listing Updated: 15/04/2021
Searching For Dog Friendly Places?
The DogFriendly Magazine contains in depth reviews and features of the best places to visit, stay and play.
Find Out More
Dog friendly places near this location
|Llanbradach Fawr Secure Dog Walking Field||6.5 Miles|
|Sevenoaks Fishery||7.1 Miles|
|Caerphilly Castle||7.6 Miles|
We have the largest database of dog friendly places to visit, eat and services.
We have a team of DogFriendly scouts who research every venue, either by completing a telephone questionnaire or by visiting and testing it in person.
Where We Are